Today, I inspected my milkweed plants and sure enough found some "first instar" Monarch larvae! "Instar" is the term used for each developmental stage of the larvae, with a molt for each new stage. The tiniest one on the left is just 4mm, and the others are 5mm. They are likey just a day or 2 from a molt. In less than 2 weeks, if all goes well, (and a LOT can go wrong at each stage from parasites, predators, etc.) they'll be 25 to 45 mm!! Then, hopefully, they will develop into the chrysalis and 10-14 days later, adult butterflies!
I'll be attempting to raise these 4 myself, and will monitor the milkweed plants outside for the growth and development of the others...I was able to find 3 more of this stage, and possibly a few eggs as well!
I'll be attempting to raise these 4 myself, and will monitor the milkweed plants outside for the growth and development of the others...I was able to find 3 more of this stage, and possibly a few eggs as well!
If this is your first time at raising butterflies, you will be sooo fascinated. They grow so quickly...change every day in size.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!