Friday, September 17, 2010

Identity Crisis!

These very large raptors were seen at Liberty Reservoir last weekend while Steve and friend Dave were fishing. 
They were dark with some"white areas" and were too large to be hawks or ospreys. They really didn't think they were buzzards. They saw six of them altogether while they were there.
When I enlarged the top picture, it lost detail, but I could see yellow feet, and also at the beak. I think they are juvie eagles!
Who wants to help identify?

3 comments:

  1. Very possibly juvies, Lynne. Hard to tell. Maybe Glo or Paula will be able to tell for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually juvie eagles is what I thought when I saw picture 1 also. They have the right finger like spread on the tips of the wings and your despcription of the yellow talons also fits. Their beaks change color more slowly but some yellow would work for a juvie eagle too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not a buzzard. I agree, it is a juvenile eagle, and while it "might" be a Golden Eagle, the probability is that it is a Bald Eagle.

    They might even be old enough to have been spending the day fishing.

    C(°ٿ°)D Jim

    ReplyDelete