Friday, January 21, 2011

Woodpecker vistis of Jan. 7, 8, 9, 2011

We hear their crazy calls all of the time. We catch rare glimpses of them as they scoot out of view just as we spot them up in a tree, or as they fly across the field. So it was quite a serendipity to have not one, but two Pileated Woodpeckers excavating a pine tree in the yard, in plain sight! Of course, by the time I got over my shock and grabbed the camera, one had flown off. But on the 8th and 9th of this month, one was at this tree for HOURS each day. There must have been some really yummy larvae in there! After the first 2 days of hours at a time, we saw them only briefly over the next 2 or 3 days, and as of now, haven't returned to this tree. 

 The tree already had a large split in it, but now it's wide open!





Here is the greedy Red Bellied Woodpecker. He was pecking at the window because, as you can see, the feeder was empty. He clearly was not happy about that! (Jan. 7, 2011)


 

3 comments:

  1. cool cool cool So jealous of your piliateds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love woodpeckers! These pileateds look HUGE!
    Thanks...I have to drive somewhere else to see them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally got a shot of the Pileated. Mine is very elusive as well. I can not get him to come up close to the house with all the feeders and suet. I can't figure out why.
    Happy Birding.

    ReplyDelete