Friday, April 29, 2011

Old house across the street, April 20. 2011

There is a pretty old, abandoned house across the street and back in the woods. I have no idea how old it is, or who used to live there, and no idea how to find out. 

It must have been very beautiful at one time, and I can't help but wonder what it might have been like to live there!
The front

Looking in the front door, beautiful old wooden banister.

Looking into the basement through a small ground level window, beautiful, BIG old fireplace.

Basement directly across from the fireplace, stairs to main level.

Around the back. Love the big chimneys!
I would love to have gone in, but I was alone and afraid to fall through the floor and no one would ever find me!

This is a smaller building in the back of the big house. It was fairly large in it's own right!
Outbuilding of some sort.

Looking in at main floor level, it's caving in!

Another view of the main floor ceiling caving in.


Looking down the treacherous stairs to the basement.

Doorway into the basement, spider web can be seen if you look closely!

Looking through above mentioned doorway into the cellar.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Love those places. Used to explore a lot around here back in the old days of youth and more isolated locales. I think you both should go and check it out more closely. Know anyone who has a metal detector??? You can go to the courthouse and start exploring the deed history, and then the historical society. Wish I lived closer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots. But please don't go in there when you are alone. I will be curious to know what more you find out though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! The house is wonderful! Loved that staircase post. Could it be salvaged?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, I too, love old, old, houses. The outbuilding may have been slave quarters. So, so interesting!

    ReplyDelete