Yesterday, 5/5, before I left for work, I checked on the Bluebird nest. Of 5 eggs, three were hatched, one was half hatched and one egg still unhatched. Of course I didn't have the camera, and by the time I got back with it, Mom was in the box. She let me take her picture!
| Mama Bluebird |
And here are the babies! There are four that you can see, possibly five. But only 4 opened wide! Not sure if the 5th egg is under the pile o' babies still unhatched. Or if the baby is under the pile! Kind of hard to tell just yet....
Five days post hatch, you can see the babies have really gotten much bigger! (5/10) Their previously naked wings are now getting some color and the first hint of developing feathers, and their heads are now growing into their eyes and they don't have that bulging eye look so much any more.
Here are the babies today, 5/14, 9 days old! All five are there, and look to be doing well. However, even though I whistled at them, they didn't even look up. They were evidently having a nice nap! You can really see how the feathers have been developing, especially on their wings, and how much bigger they are now!
The babies are 13 days old today, 5/18. You can see the bright blue on the one in the far rear corner. That is a male! The male babies have unmistakable blue color on the wings at 13 days. I think the one in the very front is a female...the others, can't see the wings to know for sure.
Pretty mom and cute kids you have there, Lynne!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, how lucky can you get...bluebirds in your yard and now, babies! Love them:)
ReplyDeleteAwww I would love to see a bluebird in my yard too. Even just passing through would be good :-) Nice pictures
ReplyDeleteThey are sooo cute! Love that thaey are ready for food! Good pics, Lynne. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteawww what a great picture maybe you should enter in the contest ty for sharing
ReplyDeleteThanks Lynne2 it is such a beautiful blue awww
ReplyDeleteThey are really adorable, thanks for all the pics in the various stages!
ReplyDelete