Friday, August 27, 2010

Caterpillar Invasion! Aug. 27 2010

There are 5 here, 4 larger ones, and if you look closely to the right of the lowest one, you can see a very much smaller one seeming to hang from the leaf.  He is crawling up a thread of silk to the leaf!

Hard to see on this plant, but there are 5 here.

There are 6 on this poor plant!
This one traveled to the underside of the gutter, near the morning glory, and is currently "hanging in J". He or she will form a chrysalis later today! It'll be the first one I see develop "in the wild".
This caterpillar is sharing a leaf with a Ladybug nymph!
I was not expecting to have so many caterpillars on my plants!!! Many of them will travel from the plants in the next couple of days to go find a place to make the final transformation...I'll be curious to see where I find them! Sadly, I have also found quite a few dead and dying caterpillars under and on the plants as well. They can't all make it...

2 comments:

  1. Well, Caterpillar lady....glad you've had so much success!! You must have 20/20+ vision to find them---they sure do camouflage well!!
    Good shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK these are the ones I have, though I don't think mine have horns. I'm telling you every year I get them on the parsey, but never on my milkweed plant!! So..whatever caterpaillar looks like these and eats parsley, that's what I have.

    ReplyDelete