She was on my milkweed this morning, an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. There have been so many this year, it seems to me. But this one touched me. Her end is very near.
She has probably visited hundreds of flowers, and laid up to 1,000 eggs in her short adult life.
She surely was once as bright and beautiful as any butterfly could be.
But, her beauty is clearly fading, almost transparent are her wings, and tattered as well. She flies, but slowly, and not very far. She never moves far from my garden....it's probably too much effort for her now. She was there this afternoon, just as she was this morning, staying close to the milkweed.
She flew off around sunset, to where butterflies sleep. I wonder if I'll see her in the again, in the morning.....
Such is the cycle of life.
Lynne that was a very beautiful tribute to the butterfly! Touched my heart
ReplyDeleteYou've got me crying, girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteI was having the kind of thoughts this morning when I found the raggedy luna on the ground under some weeds.......knew her circle of life had come to an end. :(
I think we are going to have to call you BUTTERFLY LADY, now:) You and Loretta would have a good time working together...
ReplyDelete